VFX Art Director
We are currently accepting applications for the role of VFX Art Director to join our in-house team in Wellington, New Zealand.
Description and Requirements:
The VFX Art Director is a creative who is responsible for maintaining and shaping the look and feel of a film or episodic VFX project within the studio. They are responsible for clearly interpreting and communicating the direction provided by our clients to artists and supervisors alike, while mentoring a team of concept artists and occasionally delivering world class concept designs themselves.
- Experience as an Art Director in a VFX or Production Art Dept.
- Upwards of 5 years of experience as a senior Concept Artist.
- Ability to interpret and clearly communicate visual direction from clients and key creatives to in house artists and supervisors.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills needed for participation in client reviews and other related meetings.
- Have passion and enthusiasm for creating original, imaginative artworks.
- Must be highly skilled in Photoshop and/or other design software. 3D modelling skill, and experience creating well-lit renders, using Maya, Z-Brush, Keyshot or Mudbox would also be ideal.
- Able to create a broad range of characters, creatures, environments and moods in a range of styles from sketch and painterly to highly detailed photo real images.
- Provide mentorship, guidance and feedback to a team of concept artists and assistants in order to deliver world class concept designs.
- A strong understanding of the anatomy and motion of organic and mechanical forms.
- Have a strong understanding of filmic composition and lighting.
- Must have a strong knowledge and understanding of VFX techniques, workflows, and current conceptual design processes.
- Must be self-motivated, have a good work ethic & be a collaborative team player in a fast paced production environment.
- Able to take direction, give direction and clearly communicate ideas and concerns to Supervisors and other colleagues.
- Will partner with VFX Supervisors, Producers, Assets Dept leads and artists to ensure consistency across multiple assets and environments.
- Partner with Production in regards to bidding, assessing crew coverage, and ensuring on time delivery and conveyance of visual needs.
Nice to have, but not essential:
- A tertiary level qualification in illustration, graphic design or fine art.
- Background knowledge in art theory, history & architecture.
Must provide a portfolio with your application.
Weta Digital is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our diversity and believe in creating an environment where all our crew feel welcomed, respected, supported and appreciated.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
Location: Wellington - New Zealand