Look-Dev Machine Learning Researcher
Weta Digital is seeking a Machine Learning Researcher to join the Look-Dev R&D department.
- To create and support all the tools used for Look Development within the company, including texturing, material authoring, shading surfacing, appearance modelling
- Conduct research in appearance-related problems, such as material models, material filtering, material measurement, texture creation, for the purposes of improving quality and efficiency of Look Development.
The ideal candidate will have proven research contributions in machine learning, as well as software engineering experience. Internship and junior positions are also available for this role.
- Survey and monitor the existing state of the art and of the competition.
- Participate in the research of new and practical Machine Learning-based solutions for Look Development problems, such as texture synthesis, semantic segmentation, inpainting, material measurement, etc.
- Participate in the dissemination of scientific knowledge within and outside the company.
- Participate in the implementation of new ideas into practical production tools.
- Graduate-level (MSc or PhD) education or equivalent experience.
- Good knowledge of machine learning research and tools (TensorFlow, pyTorch, etc).
- Fundamental understanding of the scientific process.
- Ability to read, understand, and discuss scientific papers.
- Ability to think creatively and formalize when faced with a problem.
- Ability to understand the practical considerations of research applied to a production environment.
- Good communication skills and English language fluency.
- Previous experience in machine learning research in the VFX industry
- Good software engineering skills.
- Proficiency in C++ and Python.
Location: Wellington - New Zealand