Senior Rendering Researcher/ Rendering Researcher
The Rendering Research Group at Weta Digital is seeking a Rendering Researcher to take a leading role in the development of rendering technology at Weta Digital. A deep understanding of a wide range of rendering technologies is required, such as light transport, importance sampling, volume rendering, realistic material models, shading, and geometry processing. The ideal candidate will have extensive software engineering expertise, proven research contributions, and project leadership experience.
- Research and develop new rendering algorithms, such as light transport (path tracing with importance sampling), volume rendering, etc.
- Design and implement physically realistic material models for hair, skin, and other materials using multi-layer BSDFs, importance sampling, and subsurface scattering.
- Adapt the latest research results into practical, production-quality code.
- Implement core rendering systems with a focus on high performance, multi threading, scalability, and robustness.
- Analyse and optimize system performance.
- Improve and maintain existing code to improve quality, reliability, and maintainability.
- Proactively test new and existing features to ensure the highest levels of quality.
- Provide hands-on user support. Find and fix bugs. Author high quality internal and end-user documentation.
- Share senior project leadership responsibilities, such as planning and tracking development tasks, engaging with users, and collaborating with other departments.
- Masters or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years of relevant software engineering experience.
- World-class rendering research expertise.
- A solid foundation in software engineering, including object-oriented programming.
- Fluency in C++ and experience with other languages such as Python.
- Extensive experience in performance analysis and optimization of highly parallel, scalable systems.
- Ability to work well on a self-directed team in a rapidly changing, deadline-oriented environment.
- A team-oriented, customer-focused mindset.
- Extensive research and/or experience in either volumetrics rendering or materials
- GPU programming expertise (CUDA or OpenCL) and experience with interactive rendering algorithms.
- Experience in film or video game production.
- Familiarity with Linux and programming tools such as Valgrind, Vtune, git, and so on
About Weta Digital
Weta Digital is an Academy Award winning visual effects company based in Wellington, New Zealand that created the visual effects for movies such as The Lord of the Rings trilogy, King Kong, Avatar, The Adventures of Tintin, The Hobbit trilogy, and many others. The studio has won 5 Academy Awards for best achievement in Visual Effects, and continues to show industry leadership by starting or incubating multiple successful software products such as Manuka, Massive, Mudbox and Mari.
If this sounds like you
Location: Wellington - New Zealand