Senior Rendering Engineer
The Rendering department at Weta Digital is seeking a Senior Rendering Engineer who will work closely with CG supervisors to develop practical rendering solutions to challenges posed by complex visual effects shots. A thorough understanding of a wide range of rendering technologies is required, such as light transport, importance sampling, shading, etc. The ideal candidate will have extensive software engineering expertise, preferably in rendering or VFX pipeline tools, as well as hands-on experience in visual effects or animated feature production as a lighting or shading TD or in a similar role.
- Develop new rendering technology to help deliver complex visual effects shots.
- Advise users on rendering strategies and best practices, and provide hands-on support and practical solutions in a fast-paced production environment.
- Forge relationships with CG supervisors and others to identify new rendering requirements and improve coordination between departments.
- Work with pipeline engineers to deploy new renderer functionality to end users.
- Analyze and optimize rendering bottlenecks and scalability issues arising in production.
- Implement new features with a focus on high performance, multi threading, scalability, and robustness.
- Improve and maintain existing code to improve quality, reliability, and maintainability.
- Find and fix bugs. Proactively test new and existing features to ensure the highest levels of quality.
- 3-5 years of industry software engineering experience in C++.
- 3-5 years of hands-on experience in visual effects or animated feature production as a lighting or shading TD or in a similar role.
- A thorough understanding of rendering technologies, including path tracing, shading, geometry processing, etc.
- Good familiarity with industry practices in building and rendering VFX shots.
Desirable qualifications and skills:
- A degree in Computer Science.
- Development experience on a production quality renderer.
- Experience developing plugins for various VFX systems (e.g. Katana, Maya, Houdini, Nuke)
- Python programming experience
- Comfortable in a Linux development environment.
Location: Wellington - New Zealand