Project Manager - Technology and Research
We’re looking for an experienced project manager to join a highly technical R&D team. You will work with our head of department to create and maintain tools to be used by our artists on upcoming films, implementing a programme of work that mixes blue sky research with tool development and support.
Ideally you’ll have experience managing projects in the visual effects industry, but we are also interested in meeting people with other backgrounds. You’ll have the ability to participate in discussions with a technical team and field requests from other departments around the facility.
Your project management style will be shaped by your experience running Agile projects, and you’ll be a pragmatic implementer, making sure that the methodology you define works for your team and customers. You can set expectations and manage shifting priorities with ease, while keeping everyone engaged and informed.
You’ll be working with a talented team of researchers and software engineers to build industry-leading tools in a friendly and supportive environment.
Work in partnership with the head of department and other stakeholders to;
- define, develop, execute and iterate a project management methodology appropriate for the department
- define, monitor and prioritise a programme of work for the department, aligned with the goals of the studio and the requirements of other departments. This programme of work may include inputs from internal stakeholders as well as from other departments
- regularly groom and re-prioritise backlogs
- monitor and manage scope, cost and time to deliver successful projects
- conduct project post-mortems for both internal and external review
- develop business cases for projects and drive them through the acceptance process
- regularly report on project progress, success & deviations to stakeholders as required
- monitor and maintain the wellbeing of the team
- facilitate performance reviews, providing leadership and mentoring as required
- work with other project managers to improve project management practices throughout the studio
- A flexible, pragmatic approach to project management
- Good understanding of software development methods
- Ability and willingness to quickly grasp complex technical issues
- Ability to provide leadership to teams
- Great communication and people skills
- Experience in VFX, film or video game production, or in computer graphics
- Experience in an Agile project management methodology
- A degree in Information Systems or similar, or qualifications in Project Management (such as Prince2, PMP)
- Familiarity with tools in use at Weta such as JIRA
- Software development experience
Location: Wellington - New Zealand