Head of Department – FX
Weta Digital is an industry-leading, award-winning visual effects and animation facility based in Wellington, New Zealand.
We are hiring for an FX Head of Department, to join our FX Management team.
Our FX team comprises of more than 60 of the world's leading FX TDs. Collectively they help to solve a diverse variety of VFX problems in close partnership with other department teams. FX is an integral team for Weta and our RND efforts, pipeline and systems continue to adapt to the increasing focus on FX driven VFX.
This is a unique opportunity to play a key role in a company who continues to push the boundaries in technology with a slate of exciting FX driven projects in production.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Understand and deliver on the responsibilities and expectations of the FX Department.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the FX Department Manager to build effective teams for deployment on shows.
- Work with the Senior Head of Department of the Shots Group to align FX to the goals and requirements of the group.
- Have proven positive experience leading large teams.
- Enjoy a dynamic work environment.
- Maintain decorum in pressured situations.
- Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Have a deep understanding of the technology and techniques relevant to the department disciplines (FX workflows, simulation, physics, shading, rendering technologies).
- Maintain practical working knowledge of the Technologies used within FX.
- Have an excellent understanding of the gamut of VFX workflows and how the FX workflow fits into the whole.
- Have proven practical experience working on FX for VFX.
- Effectively assist in rolling out changes to the FX team while minimising the impact of the changes.
- Develop and grow the FX team through effective feedback, reviews and education.
- Nurture and provide career guidance and growth opportunities to artists.
- Foster strong, positive, collaborative relationships with your peers.
- Balance near term objectives with long term opportunities.
- Provide guidance to Pipeline and R&D teams on the requirements, design and to some degree implementation of the FX toolset and pipeline.
- Act as stakeholder and represent the interests and requirements of FX to other departments.
- Effectively negotiate with other teams to ensure the problems are solved with consideration for the interests of the company.
- Actively manage the FX Supervisors, FX Leads and FX Domain teams and ensure their needs are represented and supported across the company.
- Be able to represent Weta Digital professionally in all external interactions.
- Understand and manage financial/budget information as required.
- Have well-developed team & project management skills.
- Create preliminary FX bids for new projects.
- On occasion act as a proxy for the FX Supervisor in the early start-up phase of a show.
- Provide mentorship for your team.
- Address any performance issues with team members quickly and effectively while fostering a culture of objective review, transparency, trust and personal growth.
- Have 10+ years or equivalent of practical VFX post-production experience.
If this sounds like you we would love to hear from you.
Location: Wellington - New Zealand