We have an exciting opening for a newly positioned Lighting Trainer within the Lighting Department, reporting to both the Head of Lighting and to the Lead VFX Trainer.
We view the Lighting Trainer role as an excellent opportunity for those looking to advance their careers into craft leadership or specialist training and education roles.
We view the Lighting Trainer role as "stepping stone" for those looking to advance their careers into craft leadership or specialist training and education roles. Our belief is that it is vital, that those in the role be able to continue their artistic and technical development, thus we are open to discussing with candidates how this could best be achieved.
When stepping into this position it is inevitably going to be a unique learning experience for the successful candidate. You will get the opportunity to extend your VFX know-how not just in lighting but beyond the scope of our core discipline, bolstering your grounding in the wider craft.
The Lighting Department trainer is required to develop, provide, maintain, curate and organise training for the Lighting Team on behalf of the Lighting Department. The primary goal is to help ensure that our team of artists are best prepared to tackle ongoing and future project work at WētāFX.
- Provide, develop, maintain and curate streamlined ongoing training and "up skilling" opportunities for the Lighting Team as current and future projects require.
- Provide and maintain an efficient and tailored onboarding process for new team members as the Lighting Department's needs evolve and change.
- Organise and run trainer led sessions and other live training initiatives as needed. Liaise and look to engage with the Head of Lighting, Supervisors and Leads in this endeavour.
- Disseminate and champion training best practices and methodologies in conjunction with the Lead VFX Trainer.
- Assist the Head of Department with ongoing maintenance and curation of Departmental documentation relating to common workflows, technology and accepted practices.
- Ensure that the Lighting Departments training and learning material is accessible company wide.
Candidates should demonstrate the following attributes:
- An enthusiastic desire to learn, teach and help others achieve success.
- 2+ years production experience in Feature Films and or Episodic Series or equivalent.
- Experience with in Katana, Maya, Houdini or equivalent DCC packages.
- Knowledge and experience with rendering technologies such as Renderman, Arnold, V-Ray or similar.
- Possess and understanding of the techniques of digital cinematography with regards to story, mood, character, framing, colour, light and shadow.
- Understand the principals of physically plausible lighting, shading and lensing in the production of high-fidelity photorealistic imagery for VFX production.
- A familiarity with VFX production workflows and pipeline environments.
- Exhibit strong organisational skills and flexibility when working as part of a team.
- Excellent and proactive communication and collaboration skills. Emphasis on clear and concise written communication and the ability to present confidently to a group.
- Previous Experience in the Training and Education field and/or in producing and maintaining effective technical documentation.
- Experience with building and maintaining content across multiple platforms and desktop environments.
- Demonstrated skills in graphic design.
- Basic understanding of scripting using Python or other language/s.
At Wētā FX we celebrate our diversity and believe in creating an environment where all our crew feel welcomed, respected, supported and appreciated. We define ourselves by the quality of our work, and we’re striving to build a workplace experience that’s second to none. Here at Wētā FX we value open minds and encourage our crew to be themselves.
We aim to provide a discrimination-free experience, beginning from the moment you apply for a role with us. If there is anything we can do to make the recruitment process easier, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org .
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you!
Location: Wellington, New Zealand