VAD (Virtual Art Dept) Artist
Weta Digital is looking for a strong generalist/modeller/texture artist to join our Virtual Art team.
This role is for a Maya 3D Generalist with strong modelling & texturing, layout skills and basic lighting concepts. This person will be involved in helping to create virtual environments / sets for Previs and Real Time Motion Capture from highres geo/drawings/scans within the Virtual Art Department. Qualified candidates must have proven experience in production environments, demonstrating an ability to create accurate models from 2d reference, Previs and scan data.
We are looking for candidates who can clearly display the following attributes:
- A reel demonstrating a wide range of organic and hard surface models with clean and efficient topology (preferably with wireframe stills)
- Professional Experience (4+ years) of Maya 3d
- Quick & efficient UV & texture skills for texturing assets using Mari, Photoshop, Quixel, Substance Painter/Designer
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines, taking direction and addressing written and verbal notes with quick turnarounds
- Proven experience with Zbrush and Mudbox
- Experience with Game Engines (Unreal or Unity)
- Experience with Cyslice and UVlayout is a plus
- Experience with scripting in MEL/python is a plus
- Qualifications in graphic design and multimedia. Relevant work experience in games, VR, VFX / commercial related industries
- Thorough research skills, able to interpret architectural plans and scan data, with a strong understanding of scale, so that what is built is accurate to the real world
- Flexibility to perform in a constantly changing work environment, able to compromise and take critique well
- The ability to model as part of a team, to share assets, work to a high standard and quality check your own and other's work
- Flexibility to travel offsite and outside of New Zealand if required
If this sounds like you, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!
Location: Wellington - New Zealand